Friday, May 16, 2014
Aaron Hernandez (EE-1)
Aaron Hernandez was a former NFL and NCAA football player who had been indicted for two more deaths. Aaron Hernandez had played for the Florida Gators during college and then in his NFL career he played for the New England Patriots. Hernandez had ambushed and shot two men near a night club in Boston Massachusetts. He shot and killed the two men while they were sitting in their car waiting at a red light on a July night in a Boston south end neighborhood. This killing occurred back in 2012. Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado were the two men that were killed that night. After a couple weeks of the shootings Hernandez was picked up by the New England Patriots worth 40 million dollars. He went on to play a total of 12 games in that season. ESPN had stated that Aaron Hernandez is already awaiting trial in the June 2013 shooting death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd near Hernandez's North Attleborough home and is being held without bail after pleading not guilty to murder in Lloyd's death. "Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court," said his lawyers according to ESPN. Hernandez was charged with two counts of first degree murder and three accounts of armed assault with intent to murder and unlawful possession of the gun used in the murder. Hernandez was cut by the Patriots just hours after his arrest in the Lloyd case. Reports say Aarons Hernandez's coach Bill Belichick later said he was "shocked and disappointed" upon learning of the criminal investigation. ESPN also stated that families of the victims have filed civil lawsuits in February against Hernandez seeking $6 million for the wrongful deaths of the two men. Hernandez's life will never be the same due to these killings.
Monday, May 12, 2014
NFL News (DD-2)
The only quaterback that had gone within the first 20 picks other than Blake Bortles. For the 22 pick in the 2014 NFL draft was Johnny Manziel. Johnny Manziel had been drafted by the Cleveland Browns. The next quarterback to be drafted was Teddy Bridgewater. Bridgewater was picked up by the Minnosota Vikings. AJ McCarron was a quarterback expected to go early in the draft but was not actually drafted until the fifth round. AJ McCarron was drafted by the Cincinatti Bengals in the fifth round pick number 24. The Bengals most likely had picked up McCarron as a back up quarterback in the upcoming seasons. After picking up AJ McCarron the Cleveland Browns cut veteran quarterback Vince Young. Even though they had cut Vince Young the Browns kept quarterback Tyler Thigpen. Tyler Thigpen had former played as a back up quarterback with the Buffalo Bills. So there quarterbacks as of right now include Tyler Thigpen, Johnny Manziel and Brian Hoyer. They dropped Young after about four days after this years draft. Michael Sam was drafted by the Saint Louis Rams in the seventh round in the 2014 NFL draft. Sam is a defensive end from Missouri. Michael Sam is officially the first openly gay athlete to ever play in the NFL. The press is really blowing this topic up. ESPN states that he was in his home with him his family, friends and his boyfriend. When he got the call there was recording of him answering the call from the Browns and showing his emotions and kissing his boyfriend.
Friday, May 9, 2014
NFL draft (DD1)
This years draft was very exciting and yet a little predictable. One thing being a lot of the people watching already kind of knew Jadeveon Clowney would be the very first pick by the Houston Texans. The second pick in the first round was Greg Robinson by the Saint Louis Rams. Robinson was an offensive tackle out of auburn. The first quarterback to go in this years draft was Blake Bortles. The Jacksonville Jaguars picked him up with their 3rd overall pick. The Buffalo Bills had traded their 2015 first and fourth round picks for the Browns fourth overall pick in this years draft. The Bills had picked up wide receiver Sammy Watkins. Watkins is a wide receiver out of Clemson. A player that was predicted to go early in the draft came right from the University of Buffalo. This player is Khalil Mack. Mack is a linebacker who was drafted by the Oakland Raiders for the fifth pick overall. The Atlanta Falcons had drafted Jake Matthews with their sixth overall pick. Matthews is an offensive tackle coming out of Texas A&M. A very interesting thing about Matthews is that he had or has 7 relatives that are either in the NFL now or have played in it in the past. One of his relatives are Clay Matthews one of the linebackers currently playing for the Green Bay Packers. The seventh pick was made by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Buccaneers had chosen Mike Evans. Evans is a receiver that also played for Texas A&M. Going number eight was Justin Gilbert. Gilbert is a corner back from Oklahoma State and was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. The day after the Bills had picked up Sammy Watkins they had traded there current wide receiver before the draft, Stevie Johnson. They had traded Stevie Johnson today to the San Francisco 49ers.
Friday, May 2, 2014
(CC-2) NFL News
The Washington Redskins had picked up the fifth year linebacker Ryan Kerrigan. The Redskins will be paying Kerrigan $7.03 million. In his first three seasons as a professional football player Kerrigan had recorded 24.5 sacks. Kerrigan recorded 8.5 sacks in each of the past two years. Reporters say that this was a long waited choice but it was expected. Another big move was made by the Denver Broncos. The Broncos waited almost until the deadline date but on Thursday they exercised the 2015 contract option on linebacker Von Miller. A huge move going on is a move made by the Cleveland Browns. The Browns had picked up two quarterbacks on Thursday. The Browns signed Quarterbacks Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen. They had played as backup quarterbacks in the past. The Browns may release these two quarterbacks before the regular season due to the fact rumors say that the Browns will still be looking for a quarterback in the draft. Espn states that Young made 50 starts from 2006 to 2011. He completed 57.9 percent of his passes with 46 touchdowns and 51 interceptions. He is 31-19 as a starter and twice made the Pro Bowl. Reports also say that the Browns on Thursday also signed linebacker Zac Diles, who spent parts of the past two seasons with Tennessee. Brian Hoyer will still be the starter this season according to reports. Montee Ball stated to reporters that he is confident that he will be able to take over as the Denver Broncos number one running back. He also stated that he believes that Knowsean Moreno will find a new team and play just fine on his new team. Ball stated to espn that "I don't want them to bring another running back in," Ball said. "I want it to be my job and that's how I'm approaching it -- in the most humble way possible. Like I said, I understand they're not going to hand it to me, but I'm going to work really, really hard to contribute."
Subscribe to:
Comments (Atom)